We conclude our sermon series entitled “Faith under pressure”. Preaching from Brian Dickson. Service led by Dani Osoba.
It’s a sad fact, there are those who were once bible believing Christians and went to church, who will find their faith becoming progressively colder, and end up straying into the spiritual wilderness.
Everybody is involved in a spiritual battle, whether they realise it or not.
Pressures and temptations are commonplace, much of which come from outside the church.
The Bible helps us to identify some of the common causes, such as pressures for holding to the teachings contained in scripture, particularly those which the world finds detestable, or where the Christian doesn’t agree or like the restrictions placed upon them.
Today we are going to find out how to protect ourselves and help others who may wander from their spiritual path.
What causes a soul to wander?
According to the bible, genuine believers will experience pressures because they hold to a Christian faith. Pressures from culture and the world, (who are no fans of God) will have an effect on many.
There are also those who struggle in their faith because of the pressures of daily life and have desires that conflict with a godly lifestyle.
Defence against wandering
The bible doesn’t leave the Christian defenceless and gives us powerful tools to help safeguard our faith and walk with Christ.
Ephesians chapter 6 provides us with important information. The passage provides a visual method (putting on armour) to help us remember the tools that God has given us for our protection.
We NEED to put this armour on daily. It is not a ‘one and done’ type of deal, rather it is something we need to give constant attention to all the days of our lives. Then, perhaps, like the apostle Paul we can have this testimony: “I have fought the good fight, I have won the race, I have kept the faith” – (2 Timothy 4:7)
Saving the wandering soul
There are many reasons why someone would grow weaker in their faith. Most causes may come from outside the church, but many are also from experiences within the church family.
It is vital that we do not become part of the problem, but rather are watchful for those whose faith may be wavering, and we must be ready to offer support and guidance to those who need it.
Questions for further study
- Discussing the causes for some to fall away and abandon their faith…….
- What are some major influences from today’s culture that might have a negative impact on a person’s Christian faith?
- Share thoughts from your own observations and those based on Mark 4:13–20.
- Read Ephesians 6:13–18. The bible provides many tools to help Christians survive in a dark world, one scripture is often referred to as ‘the armour of God’. Discuss each of the elements of the armour, and how they might help protect us against erosion of our faith…..
- Live righteously BEFORE GOD
- Know and understand the Gospel of peace (between you and God)
- Knowing that you are saved by FAITH though grace
- You know – The Word of God
- Prayer for yourself and the church
- Do you know anyone (or perhaps yourself) who struggled with a wavering faith? Share what led them (you) to that point.
- What can we (or the church) do to help people struggling their faith?
Sermon Title: Caring for the wandering soul
Bible Reading: James 5:19,20
Preacher: Brian Dickson
Worship Leader: Dani Osoba
Download Service Audio here
See Service Video here