The sermon for this service takes a look at the biblical view of marriage.
For centuries in all societies marriage has been between a man and a woman, but now in modern western societies this concept is being questioned with the idea that there are different types of marriage. What does the Bible have to say about this?
1) In Romans 12:2 we are called not to be conformed to the world. Christian views are therefore often counter-cultural and politically incorrect.
2) The New Testament was written in 1st century AD, but the social problems that the church faced (such as those outlined in Romans 1:21-32) are very similar to those today. The Bible therefore speaks to us today. Equally, what the Bible has to say will be rejected by the world today – just as it was then.
3) The Bible emphasises equality, tolerance and diversity, especially in Galatians 3:28. In this verse Christianity opposes slavery, racism and subjugation of women. It promotes equality, faithfulness and the strength of the family.
4) The Christian view of marriage is more than 2 people agreeing to live together. It is always between a man and a woman – Genesis 1:28; 2:8; 2:24; Matthew 19:4-7. It is a spiritual and emotional union, not just a physical one. It is a picture of the union between Christ and the church – Ephesians 5:3; 25-27.
5) The Bible clearly teaches that inappropriate sexual relationships are sin – Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13, and will result in eternal death – Romans 1:32; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Revelation 21:8.
6) Any sin can be forgiven it the sinner repents and turns to God – 1 Corinthians 6:11. The church is to love sinners but to condemn the sins that they commit, following the example of Christ. It is the work of the Holy Spirit to convince people that their actions are wrong (John 16:9) and to help people to live a Christlike life (Colossians 3). Sometimes it is necessary to deny ourselves and obey Christ – Luke 9:23, but the rewards of peace with God and His love in our lives is ample reward.
Theme: “Christian marriage”
Reading: Colossians 3 v 1 – 14
Preacher: Alan Cole
Led by: Brian Dickson
Download Sermon Here