We continue our sermon series entitled ‘Opening Times’. Preaching from Nathan Gordon.
Act 14:27 On arrival, they got the church together and reported on their trip, telling in detail how God had used them to throw the door of faith wide open so people of all nations could come streaming in. (MSG)
The ministry of Paul and Barnabas on the first Pauline missionary journey can be likened to a spiritual rollercoaster ride! Full of twists and turns, ups and downs but through it all they were focused and committed to the mission of preaching the Gospel and making a difference amongst the Jews and Gentiles.
Verse 26 has arrested my thoughts this week as it shows whatever problems we face on the roller-coaster journey of life, regardless of the tests and trials; by God’s grace we start the Christian journey and by His grace, we shall be led safely home.
Act 14:26 launched by God’s grace and now safely home by God’s grace. A good piece of work. (MSG)
What did the apostles face on their ministerial sojourn?
- Opposition from the Jews
- False Prophet (Bar-Jesus)
- Persecution (Beaten and thrown out of Lystra)
- Lives changed by the Gospel
- Churches established and Elders appointed to oversee the work
- The door of faith swung wide open to the Gentiles
Take-Home: We see the ups and downs of the Apostles ministry, but despite their struggles on the journey the impact of the Gospel was evident to see. Souls were saved, the gentiles were receiving the good news of Jesus and the enemies plans and devices to stop the Gospel spreading failed miserably.
In our Christian lives sometimes there’s a temptation to give up when difficult periods arise. However, let us take courage from the apostle’s dedication, that if we are launched by God’s grace, by the same saving Grace we shall be led safely home.
- The Gospel Mission of Paul and Barnabas was to spread the Gospel to both Jews and Gentiles. Sometimes society can appear divisive and self-driven, how can we continue to communicate and demonstrate the Gospel message of unity amongst all people?
- How do you feel and respond when someone rejects the Gospel message?
- Through challenging times in life like Paul and Barnabas how can we maintain our focus and trust in God, despite the uncomfortable situations we face?
Title: Everyone is Welcome
Reading: Acts 14 v 21 – 28
Preacher: Nathan Gordon