This week we have a visiting preacher, Geoff Cook. Our virtual service will be led by Nathan Gordon,
and will include communion.
After the Flood: Four Things I Learned from Noah’s Later Life
There’s more to the Noah story than the Ark, but this episode from Noah’s later life is an odd one and it’s easy to overlook it.
So, what lessons can we learn from this strange episode in Noah’s later life?
1. You’re never too old to screw things up
even if you walked with God over 600 years, without putting a foot wrong.
So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! (1 Corinthians 10:12)
2. Always treat others with a respect they don’t deserve
rather than gloating over them
Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement. (Romans 12:3)
In humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. (Philippians 2:3-4)
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. (1 Peter 4:8)
3. When things go wrong, it’s usually six of one and half a dozen of the other
because nobody is perfect and we’re all to blame
We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way. (Isaiah 53:6)
All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)
4. Don’t forget Jesus – it’s always all about Jesus
Noah isn’t the Saviour, Jesus is
God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. (2 Corinthians 5:19)
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: ‘Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.’ (Galatians 3:13)
- What do you think is the main point of this odd story?
- Does your church have a culture that allows for authentic openness about our messy lives?
- How do you react when you hear about somebody’s failings or fall from grace?
- How do you make sense of the curse and blessing in this passage?
- Where is God in your story right now?
Sermon Title: Noah – After the Flood
Bible Reading: Genesis 9:18-29
Preacher: Geoff Cook
Worship Leader: Nathan Gordon