We continue our sermon series entitled ‘Joy Bringers’. This week’s preaching comes from Alan Cole.
3 John v4 (NIV)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.
Today the truth is often relative and can change over time. Christians believe that there are God ordained absolute truths and we can find joy if we follow and walk in those truths.
The Bible is truth
(I) It teaches the way of salvation whereby we can know peace with God and the joy of sins forgiven.
(ii) It teaches us how we should live together in peace, in the church community, in our families and the world at large. We can rejoice if we follow its principles.
(iii) It is also shown as truth because it contains history that can be verified and prophecies which have been shown to be true.
Jesus is the truth
(I) We know that because He lived a sinless life, testified to by both His friends and His enemies, He could not tell a lie.
(ii) He came to tell us the truth about our future life, about heaven and hell and to provide the way of salvation.
(iii) He came to send us the Holy Spirit, who will guide us into all truth.
We have joy by walking in the truth
(I) Christian joy, normally linked in scripture with peace, is not dependant on external events but is a deep underlying joy which only Jesus can give.
(ii) It is the joy of sins forgiven and a certain future.
(iii) It is the presence of the Holy Spirit with us each day and the fact that we can bring every situation to God in prayer and leave Him to deal with it.
(iv) We have the peace of knowing that God has a plan for our lives and that His plan is for our ultimate good.
Questions for Further study
- In what senses do you think that the Christian faith is inclusive and in what senses divisive?
- See 1 Timothy 2:5/6; Luke 14:26; Matthew 24:40; Matthew 25:30-33; Galatians 3:26-28; Revelation 7:9.
- Discuss cases where Bible prophecy has proved to be accurate. See, for example, Zechariah 11:12-13; 12:20; 13:1.
- John16:13 says that the Holy Spirit will guide us into all truth. How does He do this?
- John 16:22 speaks of a joy that no-one can take away. What
Title: Joy in walking in the truth
Preacher: Alan Cole